Happy Hour AP Gragas = Win a game.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Hour AP Gragas = Win a game.

Post by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:04 am

AP Gragas (Basics)

Spare time so thought Id give this a go. I have based this guide on my learnings in game and also in guides over many websites solo mid included (reginaIds guide) but this is my personal take on games as Gragas.

Anyway I dont consider myself "pro" with Gragas in any shape way or form. Though I find him to be a very tanky AP champ and is quite beginner friendly but with a high skill cap so you can always have fun whilst learning.

First off Gragas isnt a champ which you can expect free kills for if you want someone like that pick annie/xerath/cass/kassadin. Gragas is a poker. He peels damage before the fights start and sends the enemy team packing. As reginaId has also stated he is a position manipulator. (See below)

Masteries
Right now the best masteries are pretty standard for ap casters. 21/0/9
Dont even bother going defense you wanna dominate your lane utilise your skills and take advantage of your ratios..which are in fact borderline messed up and going 21 offense gives you that edge early game and scales well into late game.

Runes
Again runes are pretty standard for any AP caster I run magic pen marks Ap per levels glyphs and for seals I would recommend going mana regen per levels because gragas can be pretty mana dependent depending on how much you spam..which is alot. If you wanna go AP per level seals that works as well. personal preference. Quints I run flat ap. Early game harass. I cant think of anything else that would suit him other than the listed above.

Item build
Dorans Ring x 2. if your getting stomped and cant afford anything else get another one.
Rabadons Deathcap (must)
Void Staff (if they stack mr)
Sorc Boots
Merc treads late game.
*About boots of lucidity. Gragas already has short cds plus your team should be giving you blue buff. If not take it yourself or the enemy. I dont recommend these but its personal preference and playstyle. With my experience I wouldnt need these. You want to deal damage. Offensive playstyle is best playstyle. You want kills.

(note) reginaIds guide goes boots + 3pots first. reasoning is because mainly in his level of play is extremely high and I guess he makes big plays up there. I just prefer the ring first. I rarely take it on any other ap though. I like to have good hp and better sustain. Its up to you though.

everything else I havent listed is situational zhonyas wota if you got 2 aps etc.

Skills

Passive - Everytime you use a spell gragas restores 2 percent of his maximum health over 4 seconds. This is how you sustain in mid lane if your wondering. As you are naturally tanky this is what makes Gragas sustain in lane with most of the current AP mids out there. Harassed? Nope Ill drink throw my shit at you and restore mana + health.

Q - Your main source of damage. You throw this shit at people and watch their health go down. Spam it. A good gragas can hit people with Q a Great gragas can hit people and farm with Q at the same time. Utilise it short cd and good ap ratios.

W - Drinking doesnt kill. Damage reduction and free mana. Wtf. Seriously I normally always have this up and drink constantly. Its also free.

E - Gap/Dash closer. Getting owned? E. Chasing? E. Simple. It also applies a slow effect when it hits so dont be afraid to use it. Many uses. Ill explain later.

R - Your Barrel. Its a skill shot that sends people towards you or away. I rarely use it to shift people away unless it goes to late game. Your job early game is to nuke people from the bushes or if anyone gets close nuke em towards your team. Explained later. Short cds can instagib squishies.

Gameplay

Take mid. If you locked in your mid and some idiot trolled you take top. Gragas is currently a good pick against the meta and can sustain himself in lanes. Dont go laning with someone else because frankly you want your level 6 asap so you can start snowballing with your ultimate before the enemy team can start fights with you.

Team fights

Early game
Farm farm farm. Your Q is your best farming tool. From level 1-5 dont constantly Q the creeps all that will do is get your lane pushed. If your opponent is playing passively just last hit the mid creeps with your autos. If they are aggressive even better harass them down with your Q and try to hit the creeps on the way in. Lasthitting them ofc.
Once you hit level 6 and your lane is pushed down mid because you should be harassing them all day really. Head down bot and throw your R at them. Head down tri brush and try to go in from behind and throw your ultimate and nuke the carry/support force a flash from both of em if you cant kill. if its warded w/e just keep farming mid. Dont head down straight to the river because you want to maximise your range effectively from that R.

Mid game
By now top lane and bot lane are pretty farmed and you should be fighting for dragon control. They are doing dragon? throw a barrel down their way. Initiate with your ultimate and nuke them all down when they are bunched. Dont aim it specifically for one unless that one person is wayyyyyyyyy out of position instead try to nuke the entire team with one R so your team can go in and finish them chase remaining enemies down with E + Q combo + auto attack when necessary. I see alot of Gragas's throw pointless Qs and waste it. Use it wisely. It can mean the difference between a low hp enemy getting away. use your instincts and brain.

Late game
Your now farmed to the sht house theres no excuse to missing your creeps with Gragas. Im not even a good last hitter but once I played Gragas my cs went insanely high. Your Barrels now clear entire waves plus + E. Your job now is to stick to your damn team and throw barrels at the enemy when your trying to take down towers poke poke poke (see above) . Dont give the enemy a chance to initiate onto your carries/ squishies. Let your barrels decide the outcome. They wont initiate if they are getting peeled. Considering you dont have a dumbass ad carry and your not getting in position of getting caught your team will always come out on top. Your ulti is on a short cd dont be afraid to nuke the enemy team down just for that tower. If you see a good opportunity to catch someone out E in ulti and throw a Q and initiate. NEVER USE ulti to farm. Its stupid. You wanna save it for some team fights and since its late game and your probably tired your gonna get caught and using it to escape is a good thing. ( not recommended)

Pros.
Gragas is fat.
Hes an unorthodox ap carry.
Great AP ratios. (borderline op)
Sustainer
Pokes like half of the enemys squishies mid game.
League of Mobility. Joins the ranks of all the 99 percenters of dash closers out there.
Your ulti fucks up their positioning. This is what seperates Gragas from all the other ap champions.
3150 champion like wtf.

Cons
Skill shot based.
You mess up your ulti everyone calls you bad
You dont have hard cc like the other aps therefore gankers will usually not enjoy your lane pre 6. Well in my elo anyway
You tend to fall off a lil once the enemy teams start stacking banshees mr etc.

Summary. Hes the new AP nidalee on steroids.
R.I.P ap french maid nidalee you just dont fit in the current meta atm lol.

This guide is far from over and I will try to update it whenever I can Ill try to fit videos etc. Im still a gragas amateur but I hope this helps people. Still have lots of updates to go.

Last edited by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 am; edited 3 times in total

firstdayplaying

Name : Sydney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Happy Hour AP Gragas = Win a game.

Post by ElvenAura on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:20 am

btw im not sure if they removed it but gragas' q can show enemies in fog of war and the ult is good because it manipulates them and puts them out of position, your E can go thru walls.

ElvenAura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 am

nah your q doesnt show enemies hidden in fog.

firstdayplaying

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ElvenAura on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:26 am

if your going ap u are going to have to reduce CD

a suggestion(nvr tried this before)

get Ionian Boots of Lucid.(for CDR) or Sorc Boots(Magic Pen, runes can cover magic pen.)

EDIT: since ninja tabi is for tank and off tank builds its not neccessary.

ElvenAura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:33 am

edited above in guide covered your questions Smile

firstdayplaying

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content