Xerath Guide for beginners.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xerath Guide for beginners.

Post by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:16 am

Xerath The Magnus Ascendant

This is my 2nd attempt at making a guide and Xerath is also my 2nd most played champion atm tbh. I feel that I have alot of experience with this champ though I havent mastered him yet. I want to make a guide on Xerath purely because his and insane champion with potential only in recent patches have taken notice. Im not a pro at this and by far there are other players out there that play Xerath good. I have seen Dan dinh play him very well along with a bunch of other high elo people. Go watch them and you can learn a thing or 2 I have. Smile.

Masteries
Like usual I run 21/0/9 which is the same from my Gragas build

Runes
I use AP per level Glyphs. Seals I go Mana per level and for Quints flat ap quints and magic pen marks.
personal preference I just run these due to the fact you shouldnt have trouble with getting damage early mid game.

Item build
Ok I ALWAYS 99.9 percent of the time run boots + 3 pots. I wanna make plays and I wanna dodge skill shots. This is essential. I dont get a dorans ring first because I dont want to get hit by skillshots and get ganked easily etc.

After first trip back I get my dorans ring and usually go back to lane. If I got a kill Id pick up my 2nd ring if I have enough. usually you wouldnt get it unless you had perfect cs Wink
Everything from here on is standard Rabadons Sorc boots Merc treads late game void staff.

I find people taking RoA on Xerath, its useful because Xerath is a squishy champion and really has no escape mech besides his shitty W lock speeding him. Im not against rushing these items but be my guest if your team has enough damage Id get them. Most of the time you want to be the instagibber and take out your targets asap before they focus you down. Id get a Rylais for sure though late game. Gives good stats for the price and works well with your kit.

2-3 Dorans
Rabadons
Deathcap
Void staff
Rylais
Situational; RoA. WotA.

Skills
Passive - 15% ability is converted into armor. Like wtf doesnt even make sense on Xerath w/e. provides enough I guess...from minions.

Q - Your poke. Your Laser Gun. This spell is amazing. It has so much potential. People call Xerath a siege cannon for a reason this is why. It was amazing range combined with W. Early game you want to harass and farm with this skill. max it first.

W - Maximises your range and gives additional Magic pen. Great for staying back and poking. All game your gonna use this often to snipe and poke enemies from a distance and get those blind kills. Alot of people prioritise this skill too much dont use it if your gonna get initiated upon its not a must.

E - Your stun. Never use this to harass unless you know your gonna get the kill. Always follow up with either your Q or R. There are a few combos to use with Xerath all of them are good dont think otherwise.

R - Instagib tool you can use this 3 times within 12 secs. This basically is what makes Xerath instagib status. when you E stun someone and R them and actually land all 3 you basically got yourself a kill. If they arent dead another Q usually follows right up and ignite just to get them. If you master this combo its basically a free kill level 6.

Gameplay
Take mid. Own your lane. Current meta you go mid otherwise if the game is jammed full of mixed lanes go wherever.

Team fights
Your basically a nuker. Some people say your a single target nuker. Yes you are. Your R though does crazy damage and you can span it out over 12 seconds. So if a team fight erupts and everyones flashing escaping everywhere you can basically take it easy and R properly. If you caught someone R all 3 of them. When I started playing him I had the habit of spamming all 3 which is perfectly fine if its single target though in a teamfight it can be different. Different situations may cause you to save the last R for something else. This is what seperates average xeraths from good xeraths.

Early game
Farm. Harass poke. Your range is undisputed atm. You shouldnt have trouble laning. I have trouble laning with lux cause im bad, but 90 percent of lanes should be won.

Mid game
After you hit 6 depending on how you did if you did well cross gank. Its insane your range is near inescapable. With a competent jungler its guaranteed kills. Dont be scared to blow everything on a single lane. Go in E and chase them down with R. If I am ganking bot lane from blue side I go down river and go around towards their blue buff and blow all of my abilities on them at the tower. Just tell your lane to push bot lane up to tower and its usually a given kill. If i start from purple side I would go down same route though its a bit harder because most of the time its warded in the tri-brush but I would go down there anyway. You would usually only get both of the enemies if your jungler and team decide to engage 3-4 man dive bot lane.

Late game
Your a sniper/nuker. You should be able to take down most squishys. W and Q your heart away. Remember you dont have to use W all the time to nuke. You can always Q them and walk away. No need to get stuck in a bad position and give the enemy incentive to engage on you. Basically at this point of the game you sit back and nuke/stun enemies pretty straight forward. Ill get into spots and areas where you can position yourself when engaging on towers later.

Pros
Your a beast AP your ratios are ridiculous. The forum QQ's about you.
Your a ranged poker and you do your job well.
Your a Machine.

Cons.
Mobility is an issue if your caught...well.
Your passive just doesnt make sense.

Summary.
Xerath is an extremely powerful champion. He can instagib people from far away and have range which is undisputed amongst most ap champions. Played right and he can carry games. One thing I have noticed is playing his playstyle requires a bit of patience and your team definitely has to back you up and protect you because simply your not that mobile if the enemy team engages on you.

Im going to update this guide and hopefully make it more advanced with the videos which im working on atm. This guide is basically just common sense.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post and critic me if I have missed out on anything.

Last edited by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 am; edited 7 times in total

firstdayplaying

Name : Sydney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Magic Penetration

Post by Omniscient on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am

Only thing I can recommend is to take Magic Penetration marks instead of the AP per lvl marks. Although you may build a Void Staff later on your really going to need all the MPen you can get early game.

Better nerf Irelia
Omniscient
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

Name : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Xerath Guide for beginners.

Post by firstdayplaying on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 am

EgyptianNinja wrote:Only thing I can recommend is to take Magic Penetration marks instead of the AP per lvl marks. Although you may build a Void Staff later on your really going to need all the MPen you can get early game.

oops. messed up there.

yeah sorry ill edit it in a bit. I take magic marks. lol.

firstdayplaying

Name : Sydney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

=)

Post by Omniscient on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 am

Them combined with the masteries gets you pretty set until late game.

Better nerf Irelia
Omniscient
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

R Q R R Combo

Post by TheLastSoloist on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm

You could also mention the Combo where you can fit 1 Q in between your ultimates.
If you have a decent ping, it is do-able with Aussie ~200
You can E (Mage Chains) into the R to proc stun, then hit a Q while they're stunned, with no delay on your ultimate and then finish off with your 2 remaining R's before the stun really wears off.
Of course this requires a little practice and smart-casting!

Great guide!

Regards, Thelastsoloist
I've played Xerath at 1500+ Elo with a 70% win rate

Last edited by TheLastSoloist on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

TheLastSoloist
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I like this guide, makes me want to try xerath again.

well written, Jason approves
Jason
Admin
Admin

Name : Jason

View user profile http://www.auv2.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top